What you will be assessed on:
1. Establishing a clear purpose or thesis statement of your essay
2. Developing a line of argument, expanding and supporting the arguments with reasons and
3. Identifying and evaluating counter arguments, opinions or solutions
4. Writing in an evaluative rather than descriptive manner
5. The extent and depth of your research of independently found sources
6. Incorporating others’ work effectively by quoting, summarizing and paraphrasing viewpoints and
using in-text citations accurately
7. Compiling a complete, accurate, consistently referenced bibliography (standard Harvard system)
at the end of your essay.
8. The clarity of expression used in your writing, especially register and style.
Write an Extended Essay answering one of the following questions. Foundation students must write
1750 words. Graduate Diploma students must write 2000 words.
“CCTV is considered by some to be a cheaper and more effective way of reducing urban crime than
paying for police officers to patrol the streets. However, the public feel safer if police officers are on the
streets and do not like their daily lives being recorded by so many cameras.”
Using existing literature and data, critically evaluate this claim in relation to at least 2 of the following