SE-Statistics and Econometrics Module 2014/15
Assessment in Dec 2014
Word Limit : 500-700 words.
The subject for this work is FDI (Foreign Direct Investment) in different nations.
You will be required to collect data on this. You may use the source:
World Development Indicators 2013
(Washington, DC: World Bank. doi: [url removed, login to view] License: Creative
Commons Attribution CC BY 3.0) available at [url removed, login to view]
[Document Page 96 has the relevant table but this is page 115 in the pdf]
Each student will look at EIGHT different countries: (I have been givven :BRAZIL, BRUNEL DARUSALAM, BULGARIA, BURKINA FASO, LITHUANIA, LUXEMBOURG, MACEDONIA/FYR, MADAGASCAR)
1. Identify the units of measurement of the FDI variable and explain why it is negative for some countries [note: these may not be your given countries].
2. Produce a graph in any style you wish to illustrate the relative FDI flow for your countries. Please indicate which year the data comes from for each country.
3. Explain why these figures might not be a satisfactory way of ranking countries in terms of their success in attracting FDI. Suggest a method to overcome this and explain why it has been chosen.
4. Produce a new set of figures according to your suggestion in answer to Q.3. Present a graph, of the same type you used in answer to Q.2. of your new data.
5. Compare the evidence on FDI attractiveness in your new graph with that of your original graph.
6. Present a table of the data on the % growth of urban population, for each of your 8 countries giving sources and definitions.
7. Produce a scatter diagram of the FDI success variable from Q.4 (on the Y-axis) against percentage growth of urban population (on the X-axis) for each of your 8 countries. Comment on any patterns found in this graph.
8. Use any statistical method you like to provide a more detailed examination of the relationships in the graph from Q.7.
Must be completed within 3days