Understanding of aerodynamic and road loads is very important in establishing acceleration and braking characteristics, stability as well as fuel consumption characteristics of vehicles. More and more semi trailers have started to use diffusers to minimise drag and hence fuel consumption. Therefore, aerodynamic characteristics of such diffusers need to be evaluated very carefully.
It is expected that students will develop a computer model of a semi-trailer of their own choice (without a diffuser) using CAD Package of their own choice. After developing the computer model students are expected to investigate possibility of using a diffuser to reduce drag and hence fuel consumption using CFD package ANSYS.
1) Students are required to analyse the effect of presence of a diffuser on drag force acting on the vehicle. The design velocity should be 55 MPH should act opposite to the direction of motion of the vehicle. Calculate drag force on all faces of the semi-trailer for both with and without cab deflector simulations.
2) Investigate the response of the vehicle if flowing air approaches the vehicle at an angle. Assuming flow velocity to be same, compute drag, lift and side forces acting on the vehicle for flow angles of upto 45 degrees.
Choose minimum two side wind angles on both semi-trailers..
4) Investigate the effect of length of development of flow (take two different upstream lengths 40 x height of the vehicle and 80 x height of the vehicle) on the accuracy of results obtained. This analysis needs to be carried out at 55 MPH with air flow opposite to the semitrailer motion. Only use the model with diffuser.
5) Investigate the effect of width of flow field around the vehicle (Take two different widths, 5 times the width of the vehicle and 20 times width of the vehicle.) on the accuracy of results. This analysis needs to be carried out at 55 MPH with air flow opposite to the semitrailer motion. Only use the model with diffuser.
6) Design, develop and execute validation programme for the simulations carried out. For example, you may use Rapid prototype machine for developing a small scale model of the vehicle. This model could be tested in the wind tunnel. The other option may be to use the data published in the literature. You may validate using analytical methods as well.
7) Based on the investigations above propose an optimal shape of the diffuser. Clearly justify your choice.
The assignment report must have a formal structure and must include appropriate references (internet references may be included) and appendices. While there is no page limit it is anticipated that the body of the report will not exceed 40 sides of A4 at the maximum.. NB this excludes the title page, summary page and the appendix. The report is to be word processed and in addition to the hard copy, an electronic copy is also to be submitted.
More details in the attached file ...
Please, only professionals with knowledge in this domain are expected to bid. This project can be succesfully completed only by an engineer.
15 freelancers estão ofertando em média $518 para esse trabalho
I'm an aerospace engineer. I"m a postgraduate engineer (Master degree). I'm working in flow analysis company. I'm professional user for ANSYS. I can get your job done. BTW my studies are in Aerodynamics field.
I have already done a project with wind blade design for turbine also a worked a project in idealized stick skin profile working on outside the freelancer inbox me for more details thank you sir