CHOOSE ANY COMPANY YOU WANT FROM CREDIT SUISSE OR BP(BRITISH PETROLEUM) AND ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS
1. A PESTEL or SWOT for the industry/sector the company operates in and how the company responds to the key factors you have identified.
A Five Forces analysis for the industry/sector the company operates in and identify the company’s strategic position.
Outline the implications for IS/IT based on the above analyses.
2. Identify a set of Strategic Business Units (SBUs)
Draw a BCG matrix and describe (or propose) any IS/IT strategies for the SBUs specified in the matrix
Outline and discuss any issues relating to the structure of the company (functional, divisional, SME, etc.) when/if implementing the specified IS/IT strategies.
3. Using McFarlan’s Strategic Grid (from Week Two) identify the types of information systems used in the company.
Discuss whether company’s IS/IT strategies focus on key business processes. You may want to use one of the frameworks from this week’s lecture to support your arguments.
4. Would you consider the company innovative? Why or Why not?
Identify any innovative practices in produce and service development driven by IS/IT.
Discuss whether these innovative practices are green and sustainable.
5. What project management approach do they follow (there may be more than one)
Do they build systems in house, buy off the shelf or commission from 3rd parties?
Do they have (or are they moving towards) a Service Oriented Architecture?
Are they using Business Process Management?
Can you find any examples of large systems failure?
Hint – job advertisements might be a good source for some of this information, computing and computer weekly might also be useful – particularly for failure.
6. Identify five different examples of how benefits management for IT projects has proved problematic. For each example suggest a good practice rule that managers conducting benefits analysis should follow to avoid making such mistakes.
Note: if you can complete these tasks using your chosen company that would be good but any examples will do. You might find using the life cycle approach outlined in chapter 10 of the core text useful for structuring your post.
[url removed, login to view] at least two types of changes in your chosen case over the past couple of years. Discuss the stakeholder effects each change has had in its environment. Comment upon the frequency at which Strategic IS/IT led changes are impacting the contemporary organisation.