I’m in need of an fairly experienced Linux Administrator (3 years or so) to manage our dedicated CentOS web server and is familiar with cPanel. We’ve got about 4 ecommerce sites on it, and the coders maintain them using SVN. I’d like to find a guy who is in front of his PC all the time and doesn’t mind lots of quick tasks throughout the day.
Typical tasks are things like renewing and installing our Certs, create or close some logins, find out why someone can’t send or receive email, find out if we got hacked and landed on a blacklisted, check the integrity of the backups (just in case!), etcetera. You’ll find the job has a lot of freedom, you just have to be able to respond to some tasks within 30 minutes or so (rare… but when bad luck happens I need quick response).
It’s very important that you be available by phone or MSN chat during U.S.A. business hours (though it’s OK if you like to sleep late). Ideally, if you know some PHP and even some JS, that would be great too. But coding experience is not important.
Whenever I post a job I get a lot of vague answers. So can appreciate your skills compared to others, please COPY-and-PASTE the questions below and email your response below each question. Responding directly to me is not a violation of VWorker’s policy, since this is a bulletin board ad). Please email your response to Mike(at)Kilkenny123.com.
Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. Again, contacting me directly is NOT a violation of VWorker’s policy, since this is a pre-paid Bulletin Board ad.
Lastly, I’d appreciate your avoiding cryptic answers because I’ll assume you’d do the same when working with me and that makes communication difficult. The more info you can provide, the better. Thanks.
1) How many years of Linux do you have?
2) How many years have you been doing CentOS in a website environment?
3) Any Linux security experience?
4) Have you ever installed a PostGreSQL database?
5) Do you have any PHP, JS, or Smarty Template experience (please describe)?
6) How experienced are you with SVN? (Please elaborate on this, cause I really need to know if you’re strong with SVN… having used or installed it once or twice probably isn’t enough.)
7) Could you check the logs for suspicious login activity?
8) Could you determine why a client can’t get their email?
9) What country are you in?
10) Are you a fulltime freelancer, or do you hold a day job?
11) What U.S.A. hours are you typically available?
12) Would you please provide your phone number and Messenger or Yahoo contact info so I could reach you right away?
No deliverables required.