Energy and Climate
Materials and Waste
Food & Water Systems
Integrating Sustainability in Education
Financing Sustainability and Ethical Investing
Try to think in specific terms as well regarding your immediate environment – designing for the aging, campaigns and initiatives for buying local food and preventing food waste, ideas to prevent waste and enable recycling at Sheridan’s Campuses, and analyzing systems processes encouraging people to conserve, recycle, and reduce rather than acquire to solve problems of consumption to define a specific area which you can address in detail.
The format of this proposal closely follows professional “RFPs”, “Requests for Proposals”, so is an excellent portfolio piece for you to show at job interviews.
Your proposal should include the following.
1. A cover sheet with the following information:
• Please provide a brief summary of your idea (no more than 300 words).
• Who is your target audience? Be specific. Who do you think will directly benefit from or see the impact of your idea.
2. And a designed portfolio with the following:
Supplementary materials. Please attach a document, no more than 5 pages long (single spaced), that addresses the following topics:
1. Comprehensive description. Outline your idea(s) for a product, process or program that addresses the design, and/or redesign, of your sustainable product design or system process. What is the opportunity? How did you identify the need/gap? Attach a picture, diagram or brief video to further explain your idea.
2. Business case and/or financial considerations. Why would businesses, government agencies and/or community organizations want to adopt and implement your idea(s)? Please detail the business case or financial considerations necessary for your idea(s) to become a reality. For example, who would buy/use it? What would someone pay for the product or service? Is it affordable?
3. Implementation strategies. For this section, describe what you envision as next steps necessary to implement and sustain your proposed product, process or program in the community?
4. Function and appeal of the idea. How does your idea help to create communities for all ages? Please describe.
Within your proposal or statement of intent, or video, I will look for information visualization diagrams, whole systems analysis, and life cycle analysis/or system process analysis for visual documentation of your concept.
When you do an environmental scan of similar products or system process as your preliminary research, please do not assume what is necessary- analyze the area of interest, and then apply these theories to the area as part of your methodology, rather than imposing pre-conceived ideas, and use universal and human-centered design methodologies for your research.