We have an ecommerce client who wishes to expand their marketing programme to incorporate affiliate marketing. In order for this to happen we need to create a portfolio of banner adverts to be used by Affiliate Future who will be managing our campaign. There is a requirement for 6 banners in various sizes. We could use the same message in each and probably have about 3 frames, and then I think that will fall under the size limits.
If you are happy to undertake the work, the client will will get the artwork visual over to you in the next couple of days for our initial banners.
There are a number of things to keep in mind when creating banners for your affiliate programme.
• Sizes: It is compulsory to provide a 468x60 banner as well as a 120x60 banner for your programme. However affiliates will use different size banners in accordance to their sites design and as such it is important to provide a good range. The most popular sizes are as follows (in pixels):
120 x 600 468 x 60 120 x 240
125 x 125 120 x 60 88 x 31
• Formats: All banners to be used for your affiliate programme should be in gif format if animated or jpegs if static and more photographically based. If you have any flash or HTML creative's you wish to use we can manually distribute these. Contact us for more details.
• Bandwidth: To keep affiliate sites loading quickly we recommend that all banners are below a certain file size. Have a look at the format guidelines below for a rough guide to maximum file sizes:
120 x 600 - max 20k 468 x 60 - max 15k 120 x 240 - max 15k
125 x 125 - max 10k 120 x 60 - max 5k 88 x 31 - max 3k
• Call to Action: Research indicates that a clear prompt causes more response in enticing people to actually click through on banners, even if it just with a simple “click here”.
• Event Specific: Tailor banners to specific events which are applicable to your business. Examples would be special Christmas or fathers day banners.
• Product Specific: Do you have a consistent bestselling product? Advertise it directly with a banner highlighting that product alone which hyperlinks directly to that section of your site. This should help improve your click to sale conversion.
• What To Avoid: Affiliates will not run banners featuring URL's or phone numbers as they feel people may contact you directly rather than going through the banner, thus losing them a commission.
Portfolio examples should be provided