Project: Custom Pre-processing application for email journaling
Project Proposed by:Paul Emery, Technical Account Manager, TEAMnetwork.
Timescale: To be completed, documented and ready for testing within 3 weeks of acceptance
Current Situation & problem
Journaling is enabled from a Office365 system. A copy of each email (inbound, outbound or internal) is sent to an external email address. This email address is in a different domain, hosted on a separate Microsoft Exchange server. This Exchange server has no AD federation back to the original Office 365 system. The intention is to pass these emails to a 3rd party archiving / search system, but there is a problem... When the journaled emails arrive in the external mailbox, they have been modified in such a way that the 3rd party archiving system will not be able to adequately search them.
The emails are modified as follows:
• The header information has been partly modified, but luckily not in such a way to confuse the 3rd party archiving software. This can therefore be retained.
• Any attachments to the original email are present.
• The original body of the email has been replaced with a few lines of text indicating: Sender, Subject, To & a message Id number
• The body text that should have appeared in the email is contained in an additional attachment. This new attachment is named with the subject line, which is now displayed in the replacement body text.
We need a custom programmed solution that is capable of reliably reconstructing the journaled emails back into its original form. Briefly, this involves:
• Preserving all header information
• Copying the body text appearing in the new attachment copied back into the body of the email.
• Removing the body text attachment but preserving any other original attachments.