Design of management system for a ‘Group-Buying’ company
Group-buying is a new business model/activity emerging recently, which is particularly popular in e- commerce. Group buying is the sale of products or services at significantly reduced prices on the condition that a minimum number of buyers have made the purchase. In group-buying, the number of buyers is one of the important factors affecting the prices of products.
Your job is to develop a database management system providing important support for managing the activities involved in the group-buying process. You will need to (1) first of all define the scope
of the business including selecting a product or service (e.g. books, skin care products, or a
training course) that you think is appropriate to apply the group-buying business model;
and then (2) design a database management system for managing the activities of group-buying business on the products selected, from ordering to delivery and customer management. You design must take the real-application into consideration in order to achieve its potential in real- business. The following are some basic requirements.
(1) a specification of the products that the company sells. The product information to be recorded include the name of products, the brand, description of features and functions, and the price;
(2) a specification of the price of the deal, and the requirement of minimal number of buyers that participate in a group-buying activity;
(3) all the customers need to register before buying products from the systems;
(4) the activities of group-buying by customers should be recorded to facilitate the analysis of buying patterns for future sales promotion.
(5) You need to record information of the source of the products (product provider), i.e. where do you buy the products from. The product provider will deliver the products directly
to the buyers. The system will need to record the time/date of delivery, and the information of delivery so that it can be tracked.
Requirements of the report:
Write a report (no more than 5 pages) to present your work including the following sections: (1) Introduction: including a description of the business selected, the approaches, procedures of database design, and so on.
(2) presenting an Entity Relationship (ER) diagram, which must include all the necessary entities and their relationships, for the business you defined.
(3) Based on the ER diagram produced, producing a list of tables (the resulting tables should have been normalized up to 3NF) and the associated attributes. The primary keys
and foreign keys (if any) of the tables must be stated clearly.
(4) Evaluation of your design - checking if the tables are on 3NF and explain why you think they are on 3NF.
(5) The conclusion and discussion: what knowledge you have gained, the possible further improvement of the design, and any other reflection.
(6) References (any reference used in your course work need to be listed and cited appropriately).
Please refer to the attached mark scheme.I require Level 4 and above. Thanks