I would like someone to design an app including the design portion who has capabilities with iPhone and Android OS'. The initial scope is for an iPhone app but if this is a success I would like to quickly create an Android app. It would also need to be available in languages other than english at some stage.
The purpose of this app is to enable cyclists to locate each other using GPS when meeting at a nominated meeting point at ugly hours early in the morning or notifying them that a friend in their group of contacts is nearby when they are already out and about. There will also be an ability to send abuse (within reason of course) such as images of someone snoozing in bed, flaming poo on their virtual doorstep etc. if their GPS shows that they are still in bed when they said that they were going to meet you for example.
Given the drag that GPS places on the battery and the fact that people don't want their friends to know where they are 24 hours a day 7 days a week, the GPS should only activate when a regular scheduled ride is coming up or is turned on manually. Ideally you would set it to turn on at say 5:30 AM on a Sunday morning if you usually meet at 5:45 AM but I know that this is not possible on both OS'. A reminder that your ride is coming up the night before and the ability to activate it then and then a reminder or automatic ability to turn off would also be required.
The primary method of bringing people into your ride group would be with their mobile phone so importing from your phone's contacts would be ideal. The contact groups could be your total group of ride buddies (who you would like to be alerted to if they are near you) and you could drag the core group into a more active section of people that you ride with regularly (whose GPS would activate at an agreed time).
Process Flow & key focus areas:
1. Create your profile, image of yourself could be optional
2. Drag your ride buddies contact details into the app
3. Send invitations to your ride buddies for a ride at a given time and encourage them to download the app themselves
4. Meet up for your ride and/or send abuse to those who aren't there
5. You're on your ride and the GPS senses that someone in your ride buddies contact group is within 2 Km and it alerts you * the method of alert could be via a distinctive cycling related sound or perhaps a text to speech app that announces the person's name.
So that is it in a nutshell. If you can think of anything that would add to the experience please feel free to include it but I am focussed on a minimum amount of effort to set this up for the user so simplicity is key.