A means of surfing the net anonymously and securely. The proposed solution is a USB key with a Linux distribution running in a virtual machine. The proposed audience is basic computer users with low level skills and little patience. The device works like this:
1. User is in a Windows environment as a guest (no admin priveledge)
2. Inserts USB and either it autostarts or the users navigates to the root of the USB drive and clicks a file.
3. A shortened Linux distro is silently loaded ~ just a screen saying 'Loading' or something similar
4. Linux distribuion automatically starts Truecrypt (or similar) log-in.
5. After correct log-in Firefox is automatically started.
A. USB key must work on all computers irrespective of priveledge level - i.e. admin rights are never needed
B. Surfing activity must leave zero trace on the host machine
C. Truecrypt (or similar) password must be set before the USB key is given out. The user is allowed to changed only once or not at all.
The main thrust of the project is to eliminate any mental effort by the user.
Plug in ~ autostart or click an icon to start ~ enter password ~ surf
Minimal thought~ minimal waiting
User should also be able to store images, music and videos downloaded from the Web which can be? viewed/played by programs? on the USB key.