We need a tool for the Linux (ubuntu) platform that will:
- Download the available list of newsgroups from a given newsserver (nntp)
- Enters each of those newsgroups (must be threaded, not 1 by 1)
- Download headers from the last x days (user specified)
- Search these headers for certain words (user specified)
- If match is found, write name of the newsgroup to a file.
You can make use of ANY tool that is available on the Linux OS, please check out tools like: INN, trn4, slrn, nn and pan but out preferrence goes to native libraries that perl, C or python use like NNTP::Lib and so on. We are using ubuntu 8.x so please make sure it works on that. Preferably this is written in C, Perl, PHP, python or bash and can be command line, no GUI is needed for now (probably will need gui in next phase).
Specs of the commandline switches and thus the options it need to perform are attached in the document.
!! You need usenet and linux knowledge to bring this project to a good end, do not reply if you have not got this !!
UPDATE 22/11/2010: - Retreived information must be stored in MySQL/SQLite DB (probably eayser to search also). - We need full regex support to search for patterns (See last broadcast message). - SSL connections to usenet server must be supported.
* * *This broadcast message was sent to all bidders on Sunday Nov 30, 2008 9:11:05 AM:
Hi coders, Thank you for bidding on my "Usenet search tool" project, I have uploaded/attached a document with the required switches/flags that the program should have. It gives a more clear view of what it can and can not do. Your input is appreciated and if you need to adjust your bid, please do so. Thanks, Rens