Project must deliver a linux root filesystem which runs entirely from RAM.
Selected bidder will be given a small (200MB) root filesystem image based on Slackware 10.2 (kernel [url removed, login to view]). Image will need to be configured for a two stage boot process (using initrd).
1) The first stage will need to have the capability to run a simple script to check for the existence of a file. NOTE: We will be expanding the function of the script a ta later date. The file checking is a simple example to demonstrate proper functionality.
2) If the first stage finds the file, it will load a new root fs into ram and perform a pivot_root.
3) If the first stage does _not_ find the file, it must load network device modules, bring up an ethernet interface, and ping a given host. NOTE: this script will also be expanded at a later date.
4) Upon completion of the project, bidder must provide detailed instructions (line-by-line) on what steps were taken to achieve the goal. Success will be determined by achievement of project goals and usability of documentation.
- Slackware 10.2 (kernel [url removed, login to view])
- must use lilo / MBR (all non-graphical)
- must not use any software/utilities other than what is provided with Slackware distribution 10.2
- must provide _detailed_ documentation on steps taken to implement
- must free up any ram space used by initrd
Ideal candidate will have hands-on experience with Slackware, lilo, and initrd and will understand/leverage the resources available on many linux sites.
Bidders may propose alternatives to lilo / initrd, but must provide references as to why they are better / preferred methods.
UPDATE: Kernel version is 2.4.31.
7 freelancers estão ofertando em média $249 para esse trabalho
Hi! i have a lot of experience in linux development, liveCDs, liveFlashes etc, so initrd isn't a problem for me at all. Contact me if you interested and we will discuss details.