Does this sounds familiar:
Office staff who need internet but just cannot manage their time on this internet, using office hours to surf to personal sites, facebook, yahoo, etc.
I'm looking for somebody who can make a automated script to transform a newly installed Ubuntu 9.10 desktop into a safe office computer + stripped down internet machine with the folowing functionality:
- the only applications that are allowed are OpenOffice (Word/Excel), Firefox, PDF reader, picture viewer
- impossibility to delete Firefox history
- all general file and internet activity should be logged
- The Firefox homepage should show all this history/activity so it's clear for the user that they're being watched.
- A list of domain names should be diverted to an internal php webserver
(ability to make make vhosts like [url removed, login to view])
- User should log in to the desktop and get a screen with the available applications only
- When a usb stick is inserted there should be some basic virus checking (cleaning so the disk at least is more safe when inserted in a Win XP machine)
- OpenVNC server so the desktop can be seen/took over.
- mail client using 1 SMTP/POP email address
- Both bootscreen and background picture should show our company logo
- TOTAL impossibility for the user to change settings
I'm aware of the fact that this description is not the best one you might have seen. Therefore you will need to assess my problems and do some pro active thinking to solve them.