To develop a single page web application so that a user can view TV listings, search the text and request various pieces of information. It is expected that there will be just one main page of HTML that uses jQuery and leverages AJAX functionality to retrieve data. The page will be used to access, search and display TV listings, the data for which is store in XML files. JSON formatted data will also be parsed using jQuery. I am only seeking the functionality of this web application as I intend to design and focus on the presentation of it myself.
• Construct TV listings in XML format and potentially provide a DTD.
Develop content for TV recommendations using JSON and save as separate files.
• Users should be able to access and view TV programmes. TV listings should be displayed in tabular format.
• Tabs should be used to indicate the days of the week, selecting a tab will load XML encoded TV guide listings for that particular day.
It is assumed that the displayed details of the TV guide are extracted by
jQuery code and jQuery/jQueryUI are used to generate and display the bulk of the web page contents.
A user should be able to:
• Hover over a TV programme and be presented with an overview of it:
e.g. see layout at:
[url removed, login to view]
Clicking on the TV programme should result in the provision of a more
detailed description of the programme.
• View recommended TV programmes whereby content is accessed from
JSON formatted files using jQuery.
• Search and retrieve TV listing information. For example, to allow the
user to search the TV guide for a particular programme. Details of the
search will be displayed to the user including number of matching
• Access help on how to perform a search. Note that the user must be
able to interact with the search form while reading the help
information. (It is anticipated that the amount of help will be very
• Have an easily accessible and alphabetically sorted list (with no
duplicates) of all the channels, enabling one of them to be selected to
reveal their programmes for the day, as appropriate.
• The web site must use at least one jQuery UI and/or jQWidgets feature,
e.g. a set of tabs, accordion or dialogue box. Multiple jQuery UI and/or
jQWidgets features may be included.