1. Set Industry Assignment 1 (29%) – report format (1,000 words)
Introduction to the Sector of Study
The two written set industry assignments this semester are based around what we have termed the “Danish cheese manufacturing” industry.
The „Danish cheese manufacturing” industry is a particularly good "industry case".
„As the name suggests the main focus of this industry is the dairy food products but other than that, there are also many other natural and processed food products that are in this sector. If in the present times someone goes to departmental stores he or she will find numerous kinds of dairy products on the shelves. The butters and cheeses are of different varieties.
In recent years the structural development within dairy farming in Denmark has been substantial. Within the latest ten years the number of dairy farms has been reduced by more than 50 per cent and the number of dairy cows per herd has doubled to approx. 110 cows per herd – Europe's largest…”(H. Nygaard, Danish Cattle Federation)
The first assignment question follows:
Using course concepts, frameworks and models, you should:
(1) Analyse the structure of the “Danish cheese manufacturing industry” within, and evaluate whether this is an attractive sector to compete in.
(2) Identify the “critical success factors” which drive performance in the sector now and in the near future.
Some guidance notes to this assignment:
• Word Limit: 1,000 words. The word limit excludes references. There is no allowance for words over the limit.
• Deadline: on the week 6 -commencing on 28 October - students have to upload their papers on to the Moodle system till 3 November 2013
• 8 pm, which will be passed automatically to the Turnitin program.
• The importance of your research: We expect you to have completed a substantial amount of relevant research to support your analysis and findings. This might typically include identification of key competitors (or strategic groups of competitors), key groups of suppliers and groups of customers, performance indicators that analysts use to review success in the sector, analysis of the concentration of market shares, etc. It is important that your research enables you to understand the sector, the trends, and the drivers of change that influence it – please ensure that you consider trends over the last five years.
• The importance of using course concepts, models and frameworks: The module is designed to teach you about the tools of strategic management and how to USE them. Work which is essentially “descriptive” in nature will fail, so please evaluate and prioritize your findings in all cases.
• References and Sources: You will be well aware of the business school’s rules on referencing and acknowledging sources. Coursework which fails to meet these requirements may well be penalized or referred to the Academic Conduct Officer.