I have a SQL Server database that needs to be accessible from the internet via web services. I don't know much about Windows Server, ODBC, or anything like that so part of this project requires the ability to write good documentation and training on how to build out the solution in the future. I do have background as a web developer (mainly Linux) and I'm pretty knowledgeable in SQL (mainly MySQL), so those basics do not need to be explained.
Basically I need the ability to create a secure solution for a web service i.e. custom API that certain web applications can call. Anotherwords, somebody can call the web server requesting "account" information, and the server will return XML stating the account id, name, email address, etc. If you don't know what I'm talking about then, you probably don't know enough to do this project.
The solution DOES NOT have to be custom programming in a web language, it could be setting up a software package, however, the software has to be free or inexpensive, and configurable.
Requirements of Solution
- Needs to accept REST calls and return XML
- Needs to be configurable for many types of messages
- Needs to work with SQL Server 2008 on Windows Server 2008
- Must be EXTREMELY secure
- Documentation on how to create more messages
- Receive SOAP Calls
- Fixed length data within XML
- Schedule web service calls to third parties