1) I have an Exchange server 2003 with a default mail policy of xyz.com. This all works fine.
2) I wanted to include another domain in the server of [url removed, login to view] and so attempted to do this by creating another policy of 123.com.
3) The client wanted to postpone the inclusion of the domain [url removed, login to view] as per 2) above. So I removed the recipient policy, updated and forgot about it.
Somehow, don't ask why or how, but I had actually configured the [url removed, login to view] domain as the default domain and the policy didn't remove itself fully after carrying out 3).
So, I didn't realise this and left it over the weekend. During this time the e-mail for [url removed, login to view] didn't arrive in their inbox. Nor does it show in the message tracing utility.
Can anyone help me trace down these e-mails? I'm sure that for someone who really know what they are doing it shouldnt take more than an hour.
They use a pop connector to download their e-mail from an ISP
1) Complete and fully-functional working program(s) in executable form as well as complete source code of all work done.
2) Deliverables must be in ready-to-run condition, as follows (depending on the nature of the deliverables):
a) For web sites or other server-side deliverables intended to only ever exist in one place in the Buyer's environment--Deliverables must be installed by the Seller in ready-to-run condition in the Buyer's environment.
b) For all others including desktop software or software the buyer intends to distribute: A software installation package that will install the software in ready-to-run condition on the platform(s) specified in this bid request.
3) All deliverables will be considered "work made for hire" under U.S. Copyright law. Buyer will receive exclusive and complete copyrights to all work purchased. (No GPL, GNU, 3rd party components, etc. unless all copyright ramifications are explained AND AGREED TO by the buyer on the site per the coder's Seller Legal Agreement).
Windows 2003 SBS, Exchange