Currently we have a very old database system (pre-dates MS-DOS). Although it’s continually being tweaked, it’s inflexible & our new website (which is run by someone for us) database is working with out-of-date information. Dumps from our old database system are used daily to update the web site database. If we use CRE for our website, is it possible for us to access the website database remotely from our business premises (as opposed to locally as we do with our old pre-DOS system) to run our day to day business? We would use this to input our manual customer orders (some are from our web site which would update stock levels in real time, some are received by phone, email, or fax). These would also update stock levels once we input them. We would also want to input & keep track of our supplier orders that we place with our suppliers. In effect we would use the database part of the CRE website thru an internet portal (just as our customers do) to maintain our suppliers and supplier orders, stock levels, etc. We would administer customer orders thru the admin function of CRE (if this is the best way). Then, perhaps using some extra written application, we might use other extra tables in the DB to look after our supplier orders part of the business. In effect, we would run our business using the web site database (as we do now locally using the old system) with whatever modifications were necessary to do this ??" provided it's feasible. We need to print barcodes for items that we sell (as we have retail and different classes of trade & business customers). We would need various pricing levels & discounts & be able to adjust these for individual customers as & when required (I think this part is fairly standard for CRE). I don’t know any details of the current web site (ie if it’s PHP/MYSQL or if it’s proprietary). I think my preference would be to ditch that & start afresh.
1) Complete and fully-functional working program(s) in executable form as well as complete source code of all work done.
2) Deliverables must be in ready-to-run condition, as follows (depending on the nature of the deliverables):
a) For web sites or other server-side deliverables intended to only ever exist in one place in the Buyer's environment--Deliverables must be installed by the Seller in ready-to-run condition in the Buyer's environment.
3) All deliverables will be considered "work made for hire" under U.S. Copyright law. Buyer will receive exclusive and complete copyrights to all work purchased. (No GPL, GNU, 3rd party components, etc. unless all copyright ramifications are explained AND AGREED TO by the buyer on the site per the coder's Seller Legal Agreement).
4) At this stage we are unsure of time scales but we are probably talking several months from start to completion
5) Please include in your price modifications and updates for the first 6 months. And also a separate annual cost for modifications, maintenance & updates
6)CRE web site I think would run on PHP/APACHE/MYSQL, so would probably require some form of admin running under winXP to administer the non-CRE parts of the DB used to run our supplier orders etc. We would also need some kind of GUI reporting tool (running on up to 20 WinXP PCs) for creating reports and analysing info from the web site DB (like Impromptu/Crystal reports type of reports). I know there are details that need to be clarified. Just now I'm looking for feasability and rough prices. Timescale (90 days) looks realistic to me. Open to suggestions if you have a better way to achieve this.
"Windows XP" IE 6.X and Firefox. CRE web site I think would run on PHP/APACHE/MYSQL.