This site will offer a range of features including free classified listings, events calendar, discount coupons, local information, forums and business directory ??" all with a hyper-local focus.
L o cal N ote v1 was implemented during 2007 as an interactive site with a notice board layout; this was developed in Ruby on Rails. Version 2.0 of LocalNote has objectives to:
• Add more features such as discount coupons, business listings, local attractions, events and forums;
• Build a community of registered users;
• Use a more conventional user interface than v1;
• Implement community features such as those found in Drupal;
• Support payment for certain types of content such as job listings;
• Further optimise the structure of content and the site for search engines;
• Offer an excellent user experience across all modern browsers in 1024x768 resolution and higher;
• Allow US, UK and Asian Lo calNo te sites to be launched and managed efficiently.
Loca lNo te content is ordered through both Location and Category taxonomies. A combination of Location and Category filters are applied as the user navigates the site. For example, it is possible to have a coarse-grained view such as “items for sale in Melbourne??, or a finer grained view such as “Bikes for sale in Inner City Melbourne??.
Geographical areas contain many locations (eg. the Area “Melbourne Inner City?? contains many locations relating to inner city suburbs). Content that is within the current scope should be displayed. For example, if “Melbourne Inner City?? is selected as a filter, then content from all inner city suburbs will be displayed. Similarly, as categories are hierarchical, if “For Sale?? is the selected category then all content relating to all sub-categories of “For Sale?? should be displayed.