I require someone adept at creating web based applications to create a professional looking website that has account mangement, payment and content delivery funcationality. Registered users are allowed to view text/graphics content that is delivered through a set of web pages.? Each individual user will see a menu of options, and upon clicking a "set" of pages comes up for the user (the pages have static text/graphics content but also allow user to type in? a response? that gets saved for a summary at the end). More details below:
1. All the basics of a typical ecommerce website (about us, samples, testimonial, reach us, feedback pages etc.) with some good graphical content
2. Ability for users to either pay and sign up for individual accounts or for certain users to sign up for free if coming from certain types of email addresses (if their company or institution has signed up for a bulk account
3 Related to 2 above, ability for corporates/educational institutes to sign up for a bulk account by registering their email domain so any user from that corporation / institute gets registered for free
4. Full user / account management eg. user registration process that sends temporary password to their email / reset forgotten passwords etc.
5. Logic that allows for these types of accounts to be timed (eg annual account that expires and flashes message to user etc.)
6. Flexibility that allows me to create different priced packages of content and / or adjust pricing easily over time. Eg. an individual user may pay $1 to view one series of related pages, but also may buy for $5 multiple "credits" for viewing multiple pages. Similarly, institutional users or unlimited users should get unlimited access etc.).
6. Easy interface for master (me) to create / add / accounts, track usage etc.
8. Easy way for administrator (me!) to increase the menu of options and the content (text, graphics) of all the pages in a structured way since content will be enhanced and added over time
9. Ability for individual users to leave comments / feedback and rating for each "group" of pages they view (and for users review with the average rating / comments of prior users)
10. Logic that impacts the look and feel of the pages that a certain user sees (For example, users may see a different gif logo on top based on based on their type of account)
Website must be delivered in an up and running condition at a hosting company with allowance for a real world testing period.
As deliverables I will need:
1) Complete and fully-functional working program(s) in executable form as well as complete source code of all work done.
2) Deliverables must be in ready-to-run condition, as follows (depending on the nature of the deliverables):
a) For web sites or other server-side deliverables intended to only ever exist in one place in the Buyer's environment--Deliverables must be installed by the Seller in ready-to-run condition in the Buyer's environment.
b) For all others including desktop software or software the buyer intends to distribute: A software installation package that will install the software in ready-to-run condition on the platform(s) specified in this bid request.
3) All deliverables will be considered "work made for hire" under U.S. Copyright law. Buyer will receive exclusive and complete copyrights to all work purchased. (No GPL, GNU, 3rd party components, etc. unless all copyright ramifications are explained AND AGREED TO by the buyer on the site per the coder's Seller Legal Agreement).
* * *This broadcast message was sent to all bidders on Wednesday Jul 2, 2008 2:36:46 PM:
Hello - Since my original request was a bit vague and lots of coders were unclear, I am including below a (hopefully)much more detailed dscription of what I need. Please feel free to respond / adjust your bids appropriately.
1. OVERALL PROJECT REQUIREMENTS
1.1. I am looking for a full solution - development and hosting, domain registration, email accounts, saving user data etc. Ideally I would like to work with a freelancer/small company who can also provide on-going technical support/fix issues if needed on a reasonable rate even after the web site is launched, so please keep that in mind when bidding.
1.2. Website should have a professional look and feel and I'd like to work with the developer to see a couple of samples / layouts before finalizing
1.3. Since there is paid content, and payment (paypal, credit card) involved and most customers are likely to be in the US/Europe I would like this to be hosted on reliable servers in the US/Europe with adequate security, backup, speed and availability.
1.4. Philosophically - The functionality for the user is as important as the ability for a non-techie (me) to be able to manage the running of the website (e.g. addition/updation of the content) easily since this is a side business so I don't want to spend too much time on an ongoing basis to be spent. I have tried to detail out the admin functionality I want below, but am open to suggestions from experienced developers on other tools.
1.5. I will need access to,and will retain all rights for the files/source code and content for intellectual property reasons
1.6. Website must be delivered in an "up and running" condition with a hosting company, with adequate allowance for a real world testing period.
2. OVERVIEW OF WEBSITE AND WHAT IT IS TRYING TO DO
The website basically will be designed to offer some content to paid and registered users. The content will be in the form of a library of "tests"(questions and answers) that users can access. Upon logging in each user will see a menu of options of such "tests" (categorized), and upon clicking a set of web pages comes up for the user. The pages have static text/graphics content but also allow user to type in a response that gets saved for a summary at the end. I basically will develop customers and content over time but I want the web infrastructure to be in place. Detailed specifications are provided below:
3. USER EXPERIENCE
3.1 MAIN WEBSITE
The main website will have separate pages with the following content. These must be laid out in a neat and easy to use way.
- Home - main page that describes the product and ordering information. Has buttons for individual user features (e.g. Lost password reset, login, register now etc.)
- About us -some information about the company, mission, values etc
- Why Us? - a page that describes how the productsand services are different
- Customer references - page with quotes from customers
- Free samples - This page will have a couple of links that launch some sample "tests"
- Contact us
- Refer a friend link/email - a form shows up that allows users to type in a friends email address and send them an email directly from the website that has a pre-populated email describing the website.
3.2 USER REGISTRATION PROCESS
- Users can register in two ways:
- Pay (credit card, paypal) to register by ordering one of the 3-4 subscription packages. Individual paying users can create a login with any email address (hotmail, gmail etc.)
- Users from institutional accounts (university, employer) who has purchased a group account will register for free if they specify an email address with a domain that is registered in any of the group accounts. However, for such users the registration process will require an email confirmation / verification step (a unique link sent to their email that they have to click)
- The actual registration will only capture a users Name and email (no address etc. required)
3.3 FUNCTIONALITY UPON LOGGING IN
Since the main functionality of the website is in the content that the user gets to see, the following section describes functionality for a registered user and the administrative panel required to create/add/edit the content.
- Each will see a welcome page and a panel on the left
- The welcome page will either be a default welcome page or a customized one for users affiliated with a group/institutional account who has specified some custom logos and/or welcome message
- The left panel will basically list the entire set of "tests" with their categories and average user rating of each test
- Upon clicking a particular test, the user will "launch" a particular test (in the panel on the right or in a pop up web page).
- At the top of each "test" page, there should be a clock that shows time (so users can time the test)
- The questions associated with the tests will appear one by one. After every question, the user will get a chance to type in a response in a text field and submit the response. This user response needs to be saved
- After a user submits respons to a question, the next question appears just below the previous question on the same page,and so on...
- After the last question, the user can click a button to see all the sample responses and compare his response
- At the end of taking a test user can rate the test
- All user responses and rating should be saved so users can retrieve them later
- The next time a user clicks on a test that they have taken,they can see their own response. However they can choose to reset and restart the test if they like.
- MOST IMPORTANT: PRINTING FUNCTIONALITY MUST BE DISABLED ON THE WEB-PAGE THAT USER TAKES THE TEST ON
4. ADMINISTRATIVE FEATURES
4. 1 CONTENT CREATION ADMIN FUNCTIONALITY
The main content of the website is "sets" of tests. Each "set" contains a series of questions and model [url removed, login to view] questions may also have an associated graphic file (like a chart or a graph, table etc). Since this content will be created, refined and managed over time, therefore, this admin panel has to have the following features:
- Add / Delete a "Category" for tests. A non-empty category cannot be deleted (ie I have to first re-categorize all tests under a particular category before deleting an entire category)
- Buttons to Create/Edit/Delete a "test" from the library of options
- Changes to test library immediately reflected for all users once the change is confirmed (need confirm/save button for all such screens)
- "Delete" a test will delete the specified existing test
- "Editing" a test will bring up the existing parameters of the specified test for editing (category, questions, answers, graphics) for me to edit manually
- On the "Create" test screen,I should be able to specify the following:
- The category of the test
- Suggested time for the test (this will be used to set the clock on the user screen)
- Add a question to the test (text format)
- For each question added, upload an optional graphic (jpg, gif) that will be displayed along with the question
- For each question added, type a sample answer
- Each 'test" must have an average "rating" that users leave (1star, 2 star....5 star etc.)
- Each "test" must have an internal counter that tracks how many times a particular test has been used
- There must be a way to store the responses to a question by users so users can see what they put in the next time they click on a test.
4.2 ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT FUNCTIONALITY
The end users of such a web service will be individuals who either pay themselves, or users who belong to institutions (employers, universitites) that buy a group package. Therefore, I will need admin panels to manage two linked database of accounts - individual accounts and group accounts
4.2.1 Graphical admin panel to manage "group" or "institutional" accounts database
- add/remove/edit group account
- Admin should be able to sort the list of accounts by name, creation or expiry dates
- each group account should have fields like:
- Group or Institution Name
- Group account primary contact person name
- Primary contact person email address
- Group account creation date
- Group account expiry/renewal date
- email domains (each named institutional account should be able to specify upto 4-5 email domains). Individuals who register from an email domain that is part of a registered group account get an individual account for free
In addition, an institutional account may specify the following optional fields. If any of the following are specified, then the logos and welcome message mush appear on the main screen for all users of this institution after logging in.
- Insitution logo (picture file- gif, jpg) - optional for institution to specify
-sponsor logo 1(picturefile -gif, jpg) - - optional for institution to specify
-sponsor logo 2(picture file- gif, jpg)- optional for institution to specify
- Custom welcome message (text)- optional for institution to specify
4.2.2 Graphical admin pnael to manage end user accounts
- add/delete/edit user
- Admin should be able to sort the list of accounts by name, creation or expiry dates
Each account database will have fields like:
- Email address
- Is this an individual paid account or an institutional user
- If institutional user, what group account is this user account under (this will require the group account database and the individual account databases to be linked I presume)
- Account creation date (same as group account parameter if institutional user)
- Account expiry/renewal (same as group account parameter if institutional user)
- For each "test" that the user has used from the content library, his history of responses should be stored
4.3 OTHER ADMINISTRATIVE FUNCTIONALITY
4.3.1. Graphical admin panel to manage (add/delete) a "ordering" SKUs - (This is something I'd like to have but need to understand complexity and cost of implementing this from the developer)
- Basically I want to be able to create/edit subscription levels on the fly. E.g. Monthly,Quarterly, 6 month, or annual subscription at different prices.
- Every subscriber will have access to all the content inside, so the different ordering SKUs will only vary by validity of subscription period.
- If I add a product on the admin panel, it should show up on the ordering page for users to order
4.3.2. One admin panel for reporting and communication with individual /group account (this is something I'd like to have, but need to understand complexity of implementing this from the developer)
- The idea is to communicate regularly with the institutions who have paid for an overall paakcage and let them know whether their users are really using the service. To do this, at the clck of a button, I'd like to be able to send an email to the primary contact person in a group account through the website itself. This email should contain usage data (# users registered, number of tests of each category taken) for users of that institution, with a specific time period. So this will require a script to run a simple database query and then populate the email.
4.3.3. Other basic website and database statistics -
There should be a facility for me to get some basic website and database statistics. For example:
Number of hits
Number registered users (by type)
Number of times a particular "test" has been launched
Web based application that should run on typical standard windows OS platforms and web browsers.