We have identified a unique campaign strategy utilizing donor involvement with a photomosaic web interaction as a way to increase donations and awareness.
Bulembu ([url removed, login to view]) has a vision to create a totally self-sustaining community, restoring health, education, commerce and providing care for over 2,000 orphaned children. The once abandoned ghost town has grown to over 1,200 residents since 2006 and now has 3 major enterprises generating profits of over $50,000 a month. Profits are used to care for and educate the 175 orphans now in Bulembu and to supply the hospital which has over 600 patients a month.
The joint objectives of economic and community development in Bulembu is unconventional. The ultimate vision for Bulembu is to provide safety, dignity and hope to everyone in the community especially those suffering from AIDS, poverty, abuse and abandonment by:
1) Creating health services, orphan care, education, and spiritual nurturing
2) Developing a thriving economic environment, creating employment, and generating income thus creating a wholly sustainable community.
As Bulembu continues to grow in its impact (see attached), so also does its need for financial assistance. The aim of the Bulembu Photomosaic Campaign is two-fold, one to create awareness about Bulembu and the other to generate funds for either the development of Bulembu Agriculture, whose focus is to improve food self-sufficiency within the village, provide cost-savings food to Bulembu orphan care programs and to generate income through value added exports or to the care of the orphans themselves.
After much research on the technical steps around how to implement such a campaign we ran into various problems but through hours of exploration, asking of help and through technical forums I think I am fairly close to solving the complete puzzle.
The first 3 steps I think are fairly easy and given enough time I could probably do them myself, however I don't have much time on my hands so I am opening up these for bidding. Step 4 is where the complication comes in - I think I have an idea of how this can be achieved but I am very open to suggestions as this part is a bit beyond my generalized technical abilities.
Here are the steps of the project that I need developed:
Required: Form Development
• How many photo's (tiles) would you like to add? (Drop down arrow 1-10 - Default is 1)
• Minimum donation amount (value displayed - From the above it calculates the minimum value from the number of pixels selected * $10 minimum donation amount p/pixel)
• Thank you and need statement (text)
• Other donation amount (selection of choices) (optional value field)
• Total amount (amount calculated from minimum and optional amount fields)
• Name, Address, Email fields
• Opt out newsletter
• Paypal checkout/donate button (paypal website payments standard)
** Details above captured in a ‘incoming' Mysql database
** After successful checkout paypal returns donor back to a secure, user specific generated page.
- Not exactly sure how this is done but here are some resources:
[url removed, login to view];thread.id=21719
[url removed, login to view]
Willing to shell out for products that do this if necessary:
[url removed, login to view] 47.00
[url removed, login to view]
Required: Form Development and Photo Upload and Crop Tool
- Donor presented with the number of photo's (tiles) they have purchased in a list (perhaps with a blank image box to shown nothing has been uploaded yet)
- They have a checkbox next to them to specify whether the photo (tile) is a gift.
- If it is checked then the donor has to enter the recipients email address
- They also have a checkbox option to leave the image blank and let the recipient upload their own image.
- On the right of this is the browse and upload buttons
- Qualifiers for upload – jpg only, file size limit is 4mb. If your upload does not work try a smaller picture (see facebook profile picture upload)
I would like something similar to the Linkedin profile picture upload cropping tool. Which I am guessing is very similar to this previously posted project: [url removed, login to view]
The process I would like and it is a little different needs to work like this:
1. JPEG photo is automatically resized (facebook style – up to around 800x600) and uploaded to the users information in the ‘incoming' mysql database and images retain the email id of the donor or gift recipient as part of the image metadata.
2. Photograph is displayed in the browser and the user can crop this image using their mouse to "draw" the area they want to keep (i.e. like the crop tool in linkedin profile picture). If possible, the area to be deleted should be "darkened" to show clearly the image that will remain after cropping. This image needs to be square, so the "crop" tool should crop a square shape.
3. Crop size should start at 600x600 pixels with a minimum crop size of 100x100.
1. This tool needs to be easy to use.
2. You can use open source image editors and re-size scripts if you want.
3. The re-sized images need to be good quality.
4. The app needs to programmed in PHP. You can use Flash if you prefer.
5. No other image editing is required at this time (e.g. rotate, etc).
- Once the image/s are uploaded/submitted the donor is redirected to a thank you page and an email is automatically generated to the donor
- Images are uploaded to the users details in the database and copied to the incoming folder database
- Gift recipients are created in the database and the image is added and copied to the incoming folder database if present
- Codes (passwords) are automatically generated for each donor in the database
- Submitted images are assigned a unique id (unique id's are present because if a donor changes their pic – step 2.1 and the first picture has already been approved – then this new picture will overwrite the one already present in the outgoing folder)
** The email should contain the picture, the automatically generated code (password) and for the donor (thanks and submitted for approval and how to change your picture) or gift recipient (gift for, from and how to upload/change your picture?)
Required: PHP/MYSQL - to extract current images for opportunity to change
- Donor or gift recipient enters email address, their code (password) and captcha on webpage
- Donor's or gift recipient's current image/s appear (are retrieved) with the browse upload button and cropping tool developed above.
- Once the image/s are uploaded/submitted the donor is redirected to a thank you page and an email is automatically generated to the donor/gift recipient (thanks and submitted for approval) as above.
Required: PHP/MYSQL - to extract images from the database for approval (workflow)
• Php to get/extract images from mysql incoming database and display them on the page (up to 20 p/page)
• Next to each image will be an approve or reject checkbox also on the top of the page there will be a approve all checkbox (for that page)
• Once selected the admin will submit and the approved images will be copied and resized to 100*100 and placed into a separate folder/database (outgoing).
• Emails are automatically sent – if approved – delayed email 24hrs (so mosaic can be created) – congratulations approved image and how to find it within the mosaic. If rejected - reason why along with link and code (password) to retry the upload in step 2.1 above.
Required: Zooming into a defined pixel/tile location within the photomosaic – Java/Flash/Other??
We then need to get the image metadata to be targeted within the confines of the overall mosaic so that when the uploader enters their email they are shown thumbs of their submitted images and then when they click on the thumb they are taken directly to their image in the mosaic.
I am basically trying to figure out how to mimic any of these campaigns:
Lexus: [url removed, login to view] (find via email address)
Save the Tiger : [url removed, login to view] (find via code)
Pedigree : [url removed, login to view] (find via code)
The software that i have purchased and hope to use is called Mazaika [url removed, login to view] I also plan to use zoomify [url removed, login to view] and any other web technology/programming that will enable me to achieve this.
With the mosaic software you are able to save some information that will be useful (i think) for this task. Mazaika has a free trial and I also have the full license which i can share with the successful bidder.
Menu File - Save Mosaic - Output setup screen save as "save as *.txt"
*.TXT - Text list of images. Only filenames are saved as a delimited text file to use as an image map.
form of a file:
row , col , filename
001 , 001 , [url removed, login to view]
001 , 002 , [url removed, login to view]
001 , 003 , [url removed, login to view]
002 , 001 , [url removed, login to view]
Menu File - Save Mosaic - Output setup screen save as "save as HTML Table"
HTML Table - Mosaic saved as simple clickable html table.
Thumbs and large images that was used as a tiles are copied to different subfolders.
you may open HTML file in some text editor to see where different images are
Also one option:
Menu File - Save statistic:
This option allows you to save statistic of image usage to the comma delimited file.
Times used File Name Tile positions Col x Row (Flip) 1, C:\Pics\[url removed, login to view] , 18x6 1, C:\Pics\[url removed, login to view] , 2x16 1, C:\Pics\[url removed, login to view] , 15x14 3, C:\Pics\[url removed, login to view] , 7x1 16x1 19x9 1, C:\Pics\[url removed, login to view] , 17x9
i.e. picture C:\Pics\[url removed, login to view] was used in mosaic three times it can be found at cells: 7x1 16x1 19x9
- I am not a programmer by any means but thinking it through I think it should be possible to use the third option - for instance 1. Resize all uploaded images to 100*100 pixels - 2. Center pixel of each tile is at 50x50 - 3. User enters their email address and php retrieves all of their thumbs from mysql. - 4. User clicks on a thumb and this is associated with metadata and that image is located at 'cell' 16x1 (pulled from csv?) - 5. Calculation 16x100-50 = 1550 1x100-50 = 50 = center pixel that they submitted is at 1550*50
So basically I think I need a way to zoom into that pixel on click. Am I over complicating things here? (I guess it kind of works like Google maps - enter your search - finds the lat/long of the place - zooms into tile/pixel associated with it?)
While being a charity I do have a small budget for this. I think steps 1-3 are fairly straightforward, however step 4 to me anyway seems a lot harder to achieve and will probably require some expertise.
Thanks you very much for your bidding - look forward to working with you to see if this project can become a reality.
Attached is my workflow picture that probably needs a lot of work and my scribbles on steps 1&2 front ends....