This is a project to customize an existing classifieds application, PhotoPost Classifieds, which is written in MySQL and PHP.
The application is currently installed at [url removed, login to view] . I purchased a base product, PhotoPost Classifieds and am modifying that package to produce a Video Equine Classifieds website.
There are other classifieds sites for horses, [url removed, login to view] and www.equine.com. We are going to create horse related templates by customizing PhotoPost Classifieds so that the content is robust and pertinent. I want to add a video component to upload a video attached to a classified ad. I already purchased a video software application which is written in PHP and I think we can adapt that and integrate it to the current software.
Some work has been done already and just needs finishing up, I'm unclear as to exactly what is completed.
I installed an Instant Messenger application temporarily on the site so that it could help us communicate along the way
The Classifieds software is based on PHPBB, which has it's good points and bad. The setup was easy, now the integration issues are work. For example, if you click on Register, it takes you to a format that has nothing to do with the overall design of the site.
Here are some things that the site needs:
1. The current search engine allows only a generalized search, but it needs to be specific to the category that the user wants to search on. So, there will be 4 categories: horses, trucks, trailers and products. If I wanted to search on horses for sale, for example, the search box would have to allow me to search on all of the fields in the horse input ad section, such as age, discipline, price, gender, height, temperment, horse name, city, breed, bloodline, color, zip code, registered, registration number and whether it has a video, pictures, text or all etc. It should also be able to exclude sold ads and perhaps a 50 mile radius to the zip code for example. With the zip code , there is a built in module in the software but it says I need an external database. I'll need help with figuring that out.
2. Categories have to be built that are horses, trucks, trailers and products with the administrative backend integrated with those new categories.
3. The Frequently Asked Questions section with an administration backend integrated needs to be finished, there has been work done on it.
4. The entire site needs to have the same design look and feel, we may have to move sections around on individual pages.
5. The Tell a Friend feature needs to be added to each advertisement
6. The PHPBB Forum needs to be fully integrated.
7. The Video Advertisement option and upload capabilities need to be added, as well as the different video types to be added to the admin backend. I already purchased a video site software and maybe we can integrate that....The user needs to be able to upload a video with different possible formats along with optional pictures and text. Some users may only want to place an ad with pictures and not use the video functionality. Depending on what they want to do, the different options will cost different prices. So, for an ad with video, it'll probably cots $ 49.95, for an ad with pictures, it'll be $ 25.00 and so on. Then they can spend additional money if they want to bold or highlight their ad etc.
8. Take a look at how the Products Categories works on the other sites that I already mentioned, [url removed, login to view] and [url removed, login to view], you'll see that the products are categorized and have applicable templates, that what we need to do.
9. There is an Auction capability in this software, whereby users can bid for the items advertised, I don't know much about this but we should have that capability, it would set this system apart. We'll need to enable the capability in the Administration backend and test it to see how well it works.
10. We should have different user types, such as advertisers that want to place unlimited ads for a certain fee, or one time users for a certain fee.
11. The PHPBB Forum Profile has to be be the same as the PhotoPost Profile
12. I would like for the username to appear on the ad placement page and then enable them to click on it to modify their profile.
13. Google Ads should be a component on site pages and it should be entitled "Advertisements"
14. Make the Ad Rating System more visible.
15. I would like the Customer Ratings in parenthesis next to their username, like on ebay..
As we work on this, some other things may crop up, like some page formatting changes etc. Also, right now, there's only one payment method allowed, so I have Paypal, but I'd like to see if we can allow the user multiple options.
Also, I did install the video application on a test website that I use at www.thehalfhalt.com. This is where you can see that application running.