I have have a task where I need to manually create user folders and copy files associated to the user into, merge the files, and upload them to a server. All this information is pulled from a text file. I would like to automate the process using a bash script, because it takes alot of time to do manually.
I need the bash script written to perform the following tasks:
* Create directories using the text file
* Copy the files listed in the text file to the proper user's directory
* Merge all the files in the users directory into one (using PDFsam)
* Delete all the file in the directory except for the merged one
* Upload the directories to my server
* Rename the directories with call numbers (associated to each user - preferably in a text file) ** This part is optional for now **
**Things to note:**
There are more than one users in text file. I would be able to delineate the username from the file names with some indicator if this makes it easier to do for the bash script. Also if you think there is a more efficient way to do this, I am open to suggestions, just so long as I can have a list of users with their associated files, create the user's directory, copy the files into the user's directory, merge the files, delete the excess files, and upload the directories to the server.
Also I am using a linux system (Ubuntu 9.04) - so keep this in mind, as I CANNOT run a windows bash script.
Please contact me via PM if you have any further questions about this project.