Need to develop a front-end application for a small form-factor embedded device that is going to be utilised as an information/entertainment kiosk.
A majority of the application was already developed on the .NET framework for a Windows CE based platform, however, we have recently switched over to a Linux based platform. Therefore the original application is also available for reference (in many cases, a simple translation will suffice).
This project will include creating the framework for the front-end (to display video, picture files, flash files, etc.), setting up communication via wireless methods to the server, etc.
The different areas required in this project include:
1. Front-end development: This will be the development of the user-facing application that includes buttons, UI flow, embedding of media components for efficient functioning (by using the hardware acceleration available for media playback) - the project does not however include the development of the user interface (i.e. the look of the front-end)
2. Back-end functioning: Logging user interaction, carrying out self tests, determining the flow of the front-end, etc.
The flow of the front-end will be based on an XML file that will be generated by our server application
3. Communication with server: Communicating with the central server to download updated content (using resume functionality), parsing control file and determining what to delete/add, etc.
The client application has been designed to make it as 'dumb' as possible and move most of the processing over to the server application. Therefore, I believe that this application is not a very complex development. Experience with working with different media codecs (especially on Linux), and using hardware media acceleration are definite pluses.?
Also, this is phase I of the application, and there is a likelihood that there will be further features added to this product in the future. This implies 2 things:
1. There will be more development required, and we'd ideally like to give it to the person responsible for developing Phase I
2. Keep the program extensible and flexible
More details will be provided about the exact use of the application and its requirements once an initial bid is placed and a NDA has been signed.?
I have attached a general NDA in Word 2003 format to this bid. Please fill in your username and name in the NDA, sign and return, for further information at this stage. Alternatively, please bid based on the information provided till now, and we can refine it through detailed discussions.
* * *This broadcast message was sent to all bidders on Tuesday Jan 5, 2010 10:12:06 PM:
Since a majority of the application is already developed for the WinCE environment using the .NET 2.0 framework, if someone is capable of simply using Mono or a similar alternative to run the already developed program on Linux, please put in a bid accordingly as well.