We are using an open source SMS service that allows sms’s to be sent through a computer (via an attached phone or through a modem).
The software already has the following properties:
1) SMS can be sent and received
2) SMS containing a trigger keyword can be automatically added to a group
3) SMS containing a keyword can trigger either a http request or a command line request that passes information about the SMS to an external file or database (this can contained detailed information about the sender, number, message content etc)
4) SMS can be sent using a http trigger (i.e. an external application can use a http trigger to send an SMS to a specified number
Essentially we are looking to establish an SMS autoresponder service (similar to an email autoresponder service. We are a not-for-profit trying to establish a health information service for pregnant mothers (and sms is a great way to get messages out to remote and rural areas)
We envisage it will work like this
1. Client will text a keyword to a mobile phone number
2. The keyword will trigger a response saying they have joined the group (1 and 2 already in software)
3. The keyword will trigger a http request that will add that person to the database
4. The person will be sent a series of SMS at specified time intervals (regardless of when they joined – i.e. if there are 7 sms to be sent out every week – they will get the seven sent from their date of joining)
In practical terms you will need to:
1. Configure the SMS software to allow a person to join the database (simple if you understand how to structure a http request)
2. Configure a database and interface that allows the following:
a. Admin can establish a new group based on a keyword
b. Admin can enter multiple messages under that group (with a character count included)
c. Admin can specify a time interval between messages to be sent out
d. Admin can edit any of these details at any time
3. The database should (at 24 hr intervals) check which messages are scheduled to be sent out
4. It should generate the appropriate http trigger requests to allow these messages to be sent out
5. Admin should be able to view basic statistics on:
a. Number of people in each group
b. Number of messages sent out to each group
c. Generate a list of numbers that belong to each group
d. Generate a list of numbers of people who have dropped out of a group (drop out feature is already in the software)
Please let us know if you have any questions via PMB. Please include some information about why you think that you are suitable for this task. Generic bids (or bids that include irrelevant information about other types of projects will not be considered)
You must be able to use some kind of instant messenger to communicate.
PHP/MYSQL preferred – but open to other options.
Please note that we are already using software that manages the sending and receiving of the SMS's (and the keyword components)
You are bidding to develop an additional module that will take the output of the keyword element that already exists (a http request) feed it to a external database as required - then feed back http trigger as specified.
Will keep posting clarifications as questions come in:
Existing software runs on a local computer - so this new module will also need to run on localhost.