This script would basically mimic the functionality of the SpamArrest service, except it would be self-contained on my server.
This script would basically handle MY server alone, and the virtual domains/pop email boxes within. Not looking for this project to handle outside POP accounts -- so no need to code this thing with potential outside customers in mind.
Basically, the program flow will work like such:
1. Incoming mail would be piped out to a script (using .forward or procmail).
2. This script will then check to see if the sender of the email is VERIFIED.
3. If the sender IS verified, the mail will pass through to the user's mail spool with no further action.
4. If the sender is NOT verified, the script will quarantine this mail in a temporary queue. It will then send out an email to the sender, telling them they need to VERIFY themselves, first by clicking on a unique generated link within the verification email.
5. When they reach my server from the verification link, one extra layer of protection will be a verification IMAGE. This image will most likely be created using PHP GD-Image. And the sender will then have to manually type the 4 or 5 digit unique code they see in the verification image to complete the verification process. This is basically to prevent bots from auto-verifying.
That's pretty much the extent of the program. It will need to work in combination with SENDMAIL, so the potential coder will obviously need to be familiar with sendmail's mail spool setup.
A few other considerations for this program will be some maintenance routines, where after a set period of days any quarantined messages (non-verified) will be deleted from the temporary mail queue.
Also, I would imagine the backend should probably be a MySQL database. This would be where the program stores the verified/non-verified sender information, date of sending, etc..
I'm actually making this script look more detailed than it actually is. All in all, it's probably one or two scripts total with a database backend. So keep that in mind when bidding a price - not looking for this thing to break the bank ;-)
After some more consideration on this program, I realize I'm going to need the ability to look at the current mail quarantine, and manually verify senders if I should so choose.
1) Complete and fully-functional working program(s) in executable form as well as complete source code of all work done.
2) Deliverables must be in ready-to-run condition, as follows (depending on the nature of the deliverables):
a) For web sites or other server-side deliverables intended to only ever exist in one place in the Buyer's environment--Deliverables must be installed by the Seller in ready-to-run condition in the Buyer's environment.
b) For all others including desktop software or software the buyer intends to distribute: A software installation package that will install the software in ready-to-run condition on the platform(s) specified in this bid request.
3) All deliverables will be considered "work made for hire" under U.S. Copyright law. Buyer will receive exclusive and complete copyrights to all work purchased. (No GPL, GNU, 3rd party components, etc. unless all copyright ramifications are explained AND AGREED TO by the buyer on the site per the coder's Seller Legal Agreement).
RedHat Linux 8