We are a small manufacturing company (few than 10 users) in search of a combination system administrator and programmer.
Initially, the scope of work would be limited to an Ubuntu server at our facility (but administered remotely by you). That server runs Samba and supports ~10 Windows 2000/XP PCs to include a few remote users (via VPN today).
If thing go well, we would also have you take over administrator of our hosted Web server. We outsource our e-mail services requirements so no (or modest) e-mail administration would be required.
Ideally, we are looking for one person who can "do it all" in regards to system administration and ERP system administration. Programming capability would be a great plus. We realize it might be rare to find a good programmer who also wants or can be a system admininstrator -- we need a system adminstrator first and hopefully that system adminstrator can do programming or at least configuration and scripts.
The day-to-day user-based support is generally handled by one person at our company. Hence, you would not generally be dealing with user complaints / problems / etc. directly. Rather you will be there to research, monitor, install, patch, create custom scripts / reports, create custom modules, etc.
ERP and Linux server administration would be the biggest "challenges". The applications listed below generally do not require support other than patches / upgrades and the rare bug. All applications below are time tested although we are not now using Open ERP.
The workload may vary -- somewhat extensive at first to get up to speed and to make adjustments and perform patches / updates. Later, workload could be "only" 5 hours per month. Possibly a retainer arrangement is of benefit where we purchase a minimum number of hours per month and pay additional for any hours used over the "retainer" hours.
Below is a "laundry list" of things we are looking for. Will you please:
1. Provide a resume (CV / backgrounder) on your capabilities.
2. Provide a proposal (an hourly rate is fine or something more elaborate is OK too).
3. Indicate if you yourself will be doing the work or if someone else will. We prefer to work with one person although one person in a firm is fine.
4. Indicate below for each item on a scale of 1 to 10 your CURRENT level of expertise on each item -- 1 = complete novice (no experience). 10 = worldclass expert.
* TWiki ( [url removed, login to view] )
* pmwiki ( [url removed, login to view] )
* Mantis ( [url removed, login to view] )
* Open ERP ( [url removed, login to view] )
* phplist ( [url removed, login to view] )
* WordPress ( [url removed, login to view] )
* OpenOffice (it integrates to Open ERP and we use it for other purposes too)
LANGUAGES / TOOLS / OSes
* Linux (Ubuntu preferred)
* Foxpro (to deal with data conversion from our current ERP system to a new ERP system)
* Pervasive bTrieve (to deal with data conversion from our current ERP system to a new ERP system)
* network monitoring software
* backup software
* [url removed, login to view]
* documentation (CRITICAL!)
* VOIP optimization of network
* VOIP troubleshooting
* router setup, admnistration, security
* VPN administration
* training (CRITICAL!)