Our client, The Royal National College for the Blind (RNC), is a specialist residential College of further education and training, working with people from the age of 16, who are blind or partially sighted, to promote their independence and potential. RNC provides a range of full time programmes *and* short courses designed to prepare people for progression to Further Education, Higher Education and the world of work ?€? but most importantly?€? Life.
RNC would like to invite expressions of interest from individuals/organisations interested in designing and building our website. We would offer substantial development at RNC in terms of accessibility and related user testing.
Responses by 28th August 2008
Project start ?€" 5th September 2008
Initial implementation - 20th October 2008
Complete ?€" 15th December 2008
From the home page the user must be able to easily navigate to the information required relating to RNC's offering:
1. Learner recruitment ?€" aimed at potential learners and professionals. Information on studying/training and living at RNC.
2. Fundraising activities ?€" supporting RNC financially or in kind e.g. volunteering.
3. Partnerships and collaboration ?€" information on the range of UK and pan European R&D projects RNC is involved with.
4. Business Development ?€" promoting current portfolio of income generating products and services to companies, employers and individuals within private and public sector.
In addition the website must reflect our Strategic Plan and address our e-learning and usability and accessibility policies.
The main target audiences for the website are:
· Connexions Special Needs Careers Advisors, Disability Employment Advisors, Schools. Potential, current and former students and their friends and family. Funding Bodies.
Potential Sponsors. Individuals and organisations with a professional and/or a research interest in visual impairment. Media. Voluntary Sector. Organisations or individuals needing advice and guidance on any aspect of visual impairment.
**Proposals must include:**
· An outline of understanding of RNC?€™s requirements and of how these will be met. See Appendix 1 for specific design requirements.
· **Costings** ?€" additional costs such as registration with search engines; maintenance and updating
- Evidence of a clear understanding of accessibility issues for users who will be accessing the website using assistive technology i.e. screen readers and magnification packages.
- Evidence of understanding of pan disability accessibility issues.
- Evidence of a clear understanding of design principles for users who have problems with the written word i.e. partially sighted, dyslexic users.
- Adherence to web content accessibility guidelines e.g. [url removed, login to view]
· Proposer?€™s full contact details.
· Details of previous website design experience of the tenderer, with URLs of sites.
· Milestones for delivery.
· Any other information the proposer considers appropriate and which is not included elsewhere.
**Assessment of Proposals**
Assessment of proposals will be on the basis of:
· Quality of proposals, including demonstrations of a clear understanding of the needs of RNC and its target audience.
· Demonstration of ability to design an inclusive, accessible sight for pan disability use. RNC will offer advice and guidance on this issue.
· Demonstration of ability to deliver the project satisfactorily and within time constraints.
· Demonstration of technical ability to design site.
Short listed proposers will be required to make a presentation to the RNC Marketing and Sales Teams and accessibility specialists at RNC?€™s premises.
Required Site Features:
· Publications (prospectus, annual report and quarterly newsletter) downloadable in pdf and also Word/html formats as appropriate.
· Search engine optimised - sympathetic to the requirements of Google and Yahoo
· Comprehensive site search.
· Feedback facility.
· Online booking facility for open days and training courses.
· Accessible through main search engines. Expect to be in the first 3 sites listed under key phrases relating to visual impairment.
· On-line forms such as job application form
· Core website 150 pages (approx.)
· Showcasing uniqueness of colleges and additional services.
· Compliant with RNC?€™s corporate identity. Reinforcing its position as the UK?€™s leading provider of education and training relating to visual impairment.
· Compliant with web accessibility standards e.g. [url removed, login to view]
· Easy to navigate, consistent, user-centred site layout.
· Fully accessible for users accessing the site using assistive technology
· Index on every page.
· Accessible by users with older, low-spec PCs and older browsers.
· Content maintenance and updating in-house by RNC staff.
· Generation of comprehensive site traffic statistics.
Expandable in line with RNC?€™s needs. For example on-line shopping facility.