I own a website: [url removed, login to view] and I want to make it more like a community.
I want the following to my website:
1. A blog where I can update the members with news etc. Only I should be able to add posts to the blog.
2. A forum where all the members should be able to create threads and talk with other members. It should work like most of the common forums work.
3. A chat where the members can chat with each other.
4. A broadcast area. For an example please just register a temporary account at [url removed, login to view] and login and you will see the broadcast area on the left bottom of the site where you will see how it works. It works a little bit like this: People can send a message (not longer than x characters) which will be broadcasted in a small area of the site so all the online users can see what they wrote and click on their post to go to his/her profile. They also decide how long they want the post to be shown on the page (1h, 12 h or 24 h). Then all the active broadcasts are randomly shown on the page for maybe 10 seconds, then the next one is shown etc.
5. Members should be able to request other members to become their friends.
6. Members should be able to write private messages to each other (even if they aren't friends).
It's very important that these features have an attractive design and are very user friendly so that they are easy to use.