I need a basic digital signage application with the following requirements. No need to reinvent the wheel, as there are a few open-source projects out there, most notably Xibo or Opensplash that I know of, but I'm open to other suggestions as well. So the requirements are:
Player (Android app):
- Needs to play .mp4 videos and .jpg stills with a specified duration in a playlist, without gaps and seamless looping of the playlist. No fades or transition effects required, just simple switching, but without black flashes or gaps.
- Regularly (maybe once every morning or evening) checks for changes, and automatically downloads playlist and files from a specified server, and is capable of playing the playlist offline, without constant internet access.
- Automatically starts on device power-on and starts playing the playlist.
- Has some monitoring functionality, so in case the player freezes or some error occurs it restarts automatically.
- Player needs to have a unique id and display name, so different playlists can be assigned to different players.
- What is not needed: -screen locking (as it won't be installed on touchscreens, and the screen won't be reachable anyway), -support for other formats or layouts other than specified (only need mp4 and jpg, fullscreen)
CMS (Content Management System) requirements:
- Upload videos and stills to server, delete no longer necessary files, etc
- Create playlists from these files (preferably drag-and-drop style, but not necessarily), reorder playlist (move items up and down, remove, etc), define jpg duration
- Assign playlists to players: needs to have a list of registered players based on aforementioned id and display name.
- No complex operations, feeds, widgets, layouts, scheduling etc are required, just basic fullscreen mp4 and jpg playlists.
Extra optional stuff, depending on price and duration of work:
- player stops and starts on schedule defined in CMS (so it doesn't play all night when the locations are closed. This is just to lengthen the life of the Android tv boxes :)
- CMS gets some health data from each player every hour or so, so you can see if one of them is offline.
As I see it, it can be done with the open-source digital signage projects out there, but I'm open to suggestions and ideas. Prior experience with digital signage platforms is a great plus, so please mention that in your bid if you have any.
Thanks, happy bidding.