We are an automobile data company that sources and provides data for dealerships. Currently we provide a pricing book for our customers, but we have developed a MySQL database that powers a set of dynamic php pages with the same content. This project will involve getting these pages onto handhelds or PDAs that have no wireless connectivity. This system must work for both Palm and Pocket PC platforms.
This is how I imagine the process working:
The data is updated on a weekly basis and is extracted to simple html pages or another scripting language that is more appropriate for handhelds (the data is currently in html). Then the admin will load the pages to a web site or program so users can download the data remotely and install on their handhelds. There are several manufacturers (Honda, BMW, and Chevrolet) that we have data for, so the admin would be able to choose what data the user receives and does not. Currently this data is structured by year, then by manufacturer and then by make and so forth. I can show you this data upon request. The sync would have to be smart enough to delete and upload new or data (or have to delete all the files and renew them).
So the necessary functions would be:
• Packaging up the dynamic pages and creating new scripted pages if necessary.
• Uploading those files to some system (I would think a web site would be best, but if you can find a better solutions, then please tell me) so that users can update the files on their handhelds. I have seen standalone programs that contact a server to find new files, and this would works also.
• The admin would be able to restrict the data sent out by manufacturer and year(I can show you the pages). As mentioned above, the file structure is year then manufacturer.
• The system would have to work (or be set up to work) for both palm and pocket pc OS.
Just as a note. The pages are 99% text. There are a few pictures, but we wanted to structure it for handhelds.
Thanks for your bids!
Just to clarify what this product will do and how it will be used.
First, as I mentioned before, we provide data to car dealerships. The data is about the cars they sell. This data includes, price, specs, options, colors, etc. Salespeople currently use a book that we publish with this information to helpt them sell cars.
This product will be used in the same was as the book. A buyer will come in and want information on a car, and the salesperson will be able to pull out his handheld and tell the buyer the price, what options come standard, what options are available, what color the car comes in etc.
Currently the data is pulled from a MYSQL database engine and is formatted in php pages. The page layout is something that can be worked on, but it should be sufficient until the next version.
We will sell the product to various dealers that only want certain manufacturers data. Therefore we need to be able to permit users to only some of the data.
The user should be able to update the data as we update it in the MYSQL database. The updates will occur weekly to daily. This should occur at sync. A standalone program may be needed to sync the data and load all nessacary files on initial install. A viewer for the data must be determined according to have we decide to format the data.
Please see the data in php pages here:
[url removed, login to view]
3) Exclusive and complete copyrights to all work purchased. (No GPL, 3rd party components, etc. unless all copyright ramifications are explained AND AGREED TO by the buyer on the site).
Palm and Pocket PC