Hello. Hope you're all well!
Here's the scenario. Out team is currently working on converting from Outlook 98 to Lotus Notes 6.0 and we've run into a hiccup. We've covered all migration areas but are stuck with the temporary coexistence of calendar functionality between the 2 programs. From my understanding, MS claims that OL 98 supports both the vCal and iCal formats but this has to be wrong because when OL 98 receives an .ics file from LN 6, it does not recognize the format. My team has feverishly tried to hack and play with the file format but to no resolve. We have the latest and greatest OL 98 patches installed and we're convinced that iCal is not supported by OL 98, as are IBM and Lotus.
Having said that. We are considering the following options:
1) If any coder has come accross this problem in the past, or knows of any 3rd party software packages that may help us resolve this issue, your advise and suggestions would be greatly appreciated and compensated equally.
2) Another option is to have a program written and reside at the Exchange/Outlook level that would recognize and convert the .ics file to the .vcs file in hopes of tricking Exchange to accept it as a valid calendar entry. I suspect CDO, Vbscript, VBA as the program candidates for this.
3) The .ics file that is transmitted from Lotus is a vCal text file formatted to industry standard. Yet another option involves the following steps:
- A process recognizes the .ics file and extracts it into a shared or public folder. (I know this is possible. Code already exists for this)
- Another process reads the .ics file and formats it to populate the Outlook 98 calendar object
- And finally the calendar entry is saved as a native calendar entry without the user ever knowing anything happened.
Any and all suggestions and bids for this last resort are wellcome, as are any further questions or comments. Additionally, I've attached a sample file for you to take a look at.
1) Complete and fully-functional working program(s) in executable form as well as complete source code of all work done. 2) Installation package that will install the software (in ready-to-run condition) on the platform(s) specified in this bid request. 3) Complete ownership and distribution copyrights to all work purchased.
- Windows 98, 2K, XP
- Outlook 98, 2k
- Exchange 5.5
- Lotus Notes 6.0