Data is being supplied at 15 minute intervals by a third party via a serial cable. We are permitted to link our PC to the 2m cable. We have a program which can read and manipulate the data once saved to a file for use however, we do not know how to save the data which is sent via the serial cable, to a file in a directory nominated by us. The document provided by the data supplier describing how the data is sent and the file format is attached.
We require a program preferably written in VB to automatically poll the serialcable and when data is received save the data stream recived each 15 minutes in a single file, naming convention to be [url removed, login to view], to a directory nominated in the settings. The program will operate 24/7. Maintenace of the files created will be handled by another program. If a file with the same name is found in the directory the file is to be overridden. If a data stream can not be read, no start end flag, to create a file then an email message is to be sent to the person nominated in the settings. (SMTP). Log of all transmissions successful and unsuccessful to be created. Program to enable reading of log file and deletion of log file. Suggest using MSDE to store information. Access via PC anywhere is required to the program however Web access to the program settings and error log file is preferable.
Suggestions and questions are welcome. Should the data suppliers information be inadequate please forward questions.
Addition 5th Nov 2003: The data read from the XML file is to be parsed. Each of the fields required in the database are numbered. If the data is not sourced from the XML file then the record number is suffixed with an asterix.
1) GmID Number of Machine Read
3) * Split ReadingTime field called Date format DDMMYYYY
4) * Split ReadingTime field called Time format HHMM. MM to be reset to nearest 00, 15, 30 or 45 this will make analysis easier.
5) * Concatenate GmID and Date and Time to create a unique index record which can be read to obtain the data for a given machine on a given day and time.
1) Complete and fully-functional working program(s) in executable form as well as complete source code of all work done.
2) Installation package that will install the software (in ready-to-run condition) on the platform(s) specified in this bid request.
3) Exclusive and complete copyrights to all work purchased. (No GPL, 3rd party components, etc. unless all copyright ramifications are explained AND AGREED TO by the buyer on the site).
4) Source code to be adequatly narated to enable modifications at a later date.
5) Documentation on how we can test that the program works as we will not have immediate access to the third party data. By explainign this we can set up two PC's one to send data the other to receive the [url removed, login to view] pay you quicker. We need documentation on how to set up bothe the sending Pc and receiving PC.
6) Program for us to test to ensure that we are happy with the work.
7) Design and process documentation
Program will be operation on a Windows 2000 or Windows XP PC. Access via PC anywhere is required however Web access to the program settings is preferable. Will NOT have SQL installed.
PC will be a old Pc on the network as the primary function is to receive the data from the data supplier.