Basically what we are looking for is a tool to streamline and automate new and updated peridiocal updates to our VB6 application running with a SQL backend database.
Currently using installshield, however we are open to any solution as long as it accomplishes the goal and as long as it can be maintained.
This tool would be similar to a Symantec corporate edition antivirus update, which downloads the latest version from the internet, loads them to a local server then the workstations get their update via that server.
Application resides on the workstations and the database resides on the server. Tool should be able to accomplish the following:
1. Perform a complete installation of our application with the supporting files and confirmation of prompt (such as the company name, path, ODBC setup, workstation of Crystal report installation to run reports programmed in the application, etc..)
2. Periodical updates to the application should be able to be downloaded to the local server and then the workstations updates automatically, if they do not have the current version. 3. Not all workstations have access to the Internet that is why the workstaion update must be made from a local drive (server or shared)
4. Whatever files resides on the local drives must be updated
5. Installation Tool must be able to patch changes made to the database
6. Installation Tool must make a backup of the files that it will overwrite or create a "backup" point in case installation corrupts data or does not complete.
7. Must have some eeror reporting to determine where problem is with installation
1) Complete and fully-functional working program(s) in executable form as well as complete source code of all work done.
2) Deliverables must be in ready-to-run condition, as follows (depending on the nature of the deliverables):
a) For web sites or other server-side deliverables intended to only ever exist in one place in the Buyer's environment--Deliverables must be installed by the Seller in ready-to-run condition in the Buyer's environment.
b) For all others including desktop software or software the buyer intends to distribute: A software installation package that will install the software in ready-to-run condition on the platform(s) specified in this bid request.
3) All deliverables will be considered "work made for hire" under U.S. Copyright law. Buyer will receive exclusive and complete copyrights to all work purchased. (No GPL, GNU, 3rd party components, etc. unless all copyright ramifications are explained AND AGREED TO by the buyer on the site per the coder's Seller Legal Agreement).
VB6, sql and currently being converted to .NET
Program can be in .net, as long as it will be compatible with our future version of our application in .net
Installation must be web interface to download updates, unattented