The project is for a meta search engine. Here is what the meta search engine should do and the flow:
1. User enters a query
2. All search engines in the list should be queried in parallel (Parallel processing of query is important)
3. The search results from the different engines are combined and only the search results that occur in all search engines are displayed in order of importance. Order of importance is calculated by a simple addition of ranks and the resulting sum is sorted.
4. This result is shown to the [url removed, login to view] should be a password protected admin menu, from which the admin can select the search engines to be queried. The list of search engines to be crawled: * Google * Yahoo * MSN Search * Ask Jeeves * Looksmart * Teoma * AllTheWeb * WiseNut. It should also be easy to add other search engines if needed. The results page should be integrated with google adwords. Admin should be able to set the google adwords publisher id from the admin menu. This will be the first deliverable. The focus is more on the server side. The second deliverable will be focussed on the client side using AJAX. The search results will be displayed on a Venn Diagram showing the overlap in search results. The navigation will be similar to google maps in terms of the user will be able to zoom in, zoom out and move around to see the results. It is very important that the interface is easy to use and not confusing to user. I have some mock up screen shots, but I am no designer and the interface needs to be simplified and made easy to use. I will post it to people who contact me in pmb. Also let me know the time frame for deliverables of the project. Also I would rather prefer to go with one company to do both the part of the project. This project will need some on going support in the future to add other features. I am looking for a long term relationship with a company that I can continue to use beyond this project.
1) Complete and fully-functional working program(s) in executable form as well as complete source code of all work done.
2) Deliverables must be in ready-to-run condition, as follows (depending on the nature of the deliverables):
a) For web sites or other server-side deliverables intended to only ever exist in one place in the Buyer's environment--Deliverables must be installed by the Seller in ready-to-run condition in the Buyer's environment.
b) For all others including desktop software or software the buyer intends to distribute: A software installation package that will install the software in ready-to-run condition on the platform(s) specified in this bid request.
3) All deliverables will be considered "work made for hire" under U.S. Copyright law. Buyer will receive exclusive and complete copyrights to all work purchased. (No GPL, GNU, 3rd party components, etc. unless all copyright ramifications are explained AND AGREED TO by the buyer on the site per the coder's Seller Legal Agreement).
If you are interested in the project, please send me samples of: 1. Meta search engine or other html scrubbing projects that you have done. 2. Examples of AJAX application that you have developed. 3. Examples of web UI that you have developed. Also, let me know what programming language you would be using.
I have a linux server and would prefer php, perl, ruby (on rails) or something similar. I do not have asp or .net. However I can change servers if your solution is good. Browser versions: Recent versions of Firefox/Mozilla, IE 5.5+, Safari 1.2+. Not need to support older IE 5.0 versions