I am employed as a firefighter for Queensland Fire & Rescue Service in Australia.
We are currently in wage disputes with our state Government after they renegged on promises made for an increase in wage rates for firefighters based on the work we perform, the risk to our own lives that we take to help the community, and the disparity between our wage rates and those of other positions in the public sector. To give an indication, we are currently paid the equivalent of an administrative assistant, whose sole responsibility is answering the telephone and filing duties....approximates to $21.00 per hour.
In an effort to rally public support to our plight, and? provide the community whom we serve an avenue by which they can express their support, our union, whom I hereby represent,? has decided to impliment a web site that will explain in 'Lamans Terms' our plight, in the hope that the greater community will get behind our cause to pressure the Government to remunerate firefighters? in line with? our skills, education, risk, hours worked, and training levels.
To this end we will need a small HIGH IMPACT web site, visually stimulating, and easily navigated.
The design will need to be not too busy, so as to encourage visitors to support our cause and not just get sick of reading text.
We are not the most financial union so cost is of importance to us.
The site will need a home (initial index) page, consisting of one or two selected images, and links to up to 10 pages of content.
the functionality would need to include the following;
- a page explaining the details of our plight in easy to understand lanuage (lamans terms) (OUR PLIGHT)
- a page linked from this page to a more details technical explanation should visitors wish to read on (THE FACTS)
- a page explaining wage comparisons between what firefighters are currently paid, and other public sector wage rates. (WAGE RATE COMPARISON)
- a page outlining to false propaganda (lies) put forward by the government, via the media, playing down our claim. (THE LIES)
- A page that will link to contact details for local members of parliament, intorducing them with a photo, and all contact details for their office including email addresses (HOW YOU CAN HELP)
- Then from these email addresses, the ability for visitors to simply sign their name to a preformatted email, (witten by us) in support of our cause, or write their own email of support and have it emailed directly to the member of parliament.
- A link to a petition, where visitors can simply complete their details pledgeing their support for our claim/cause, in a method that is as easy and uncomplicated as possible.
- the ability to record/track the number of visitors to the site, the number of preformatted and other emails sent to members of parliament, and the ability to view and print the petition at any time for submission in hard copy to government.
- a link from the home page to a video file, which will be provided by us, simply a firefighter requesting the support of the community that we serve.
- a link fromt the home page to a list of the tasks/duties we perform as firefighters and perhaps supporting images of each.
- a link fromt he home page to a contact us page
- a link fromt he home page to a gallery page, displaying imges of rescues and incidents that we attend as a matter of everyday work, 24hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- a link to our united firefighter union web site
- attractive and appropriate icons for each link
I invisage a development timeline of two weeks initilly from the time we provide content and images, then a break of approx 1 week for our editing and changes, then a final week for you to complete the site with the changes.
We are extremely appreciative of any assistance we can get, and look forward to working with a coder whose field of expertise this project suits.
the timeline will be an important issue, as other printing and media releases (news) will be planned for the same time as the launch of the site.
Thank you kindly.