Participants are required to read 2 chapters in preparation for this assignment. This assignment requires students to review readings for 1st Four Hours of class (Burnes Chapters 1 and 2) and answer 4 short questions out of a choice of 6. The reason for this assignment is to ensure that all students are aware and prepared to actively engage with the lecturers and the lecture material from the beginning of the course. Below are the questions. Clear and precise answers are expected. Each attempted answer should be 150 to 200 words in length.
Short Questions (choose 4 out of 6, all questions carry equal marks):
1. Why change is important in your organisation (or from your previous work experience)?
2. Discuss the following statement based on classical approach: ‘We are all greedy robots.’
3. Read Burnes page 17 on two phrases that sum up Taylor’s basic beliefs on work and human being (worker). Do you think they are applicable in your organisation? If not, what forces drive such a change?
4. Henry Fayol was highly successful in his time. Based on his universal ‘Principles of Organisation’ (in Burnes pages 23-24, especially in 1.1), use TWO of them to describe problems that need to be addressed for improvements in your organisation (or from your previous work experience).
5. ‘Organizations are not machines but cooperative systems ...’ (in Burnes page 41). Write a short memo to your manager stating the merits of such a view.
6. What is the major difference between contingency approach and classical approach? (Burnes page 59) Explain it with a real life example.