Sqoop is a service that journalists in every newsroom in America use to find news in public records and press releases.
We have a wire distribution service interested in providing us with a feed (likely RSS) of their press releases to match with Sqoop’s subscribing reporters.
Last year we ran a similar pilot of this idea so this project would not need to be developed from scratch, but rather modified and expanded from our earlier work. At a high level, here are the elements:
- Integrate an RSS, FTP or other feed from our partner
- Using Sqoop’s matching system, determine and report which press releases match and then refine relevance settings to increase or decrease the number of matches.
- Program how these press releases show up in Sqoop’s web application as well as in email alerts, which would be some front-end work.
- Deploy this service in small “flights” or test groups
- Help construct a measurement framework for reporting to partners
- Make this service generally available
- Build in a mechanism to get feedback from reporters.
- Thorough knowledge of the Ruby language and Rails framework
- Modern Web Design sensibilities (incl. Responsive Design)
- Ability to own projects from requirements through development and deployment
- MS or BS in computer science, software engineering or related field
- Search application experience a plus