Cancelling a project should only be considered if you no longer need your project to be done. It is different from marking a project as incomplete which is selected when your freelancer fails to complete your project.
The option to cancel a project is available when these conditions are met:
- The freelancer did not receive any payment yet; therefore no Milestone Payment is released.
- There is no In Progress (Funded) Milestone Payment in the project
If a Milestone Payment has been released, you will only be left with the options to either mark the project as 1) incomplete or 2) complete. If you still have In Progress Milestone Payments, ask your freelancer to cancel them first. You can also use the Dispute Resolution Service as this also serves as protection for In Progress Milestone Payments on projects.
Note that you and your freelancer will not be able to leave feedback on a cancelled project. If you are ready to cancel a project, follow the steps below.
For Fixed-price projects:
1. Click End Project on your project’s Payments tab.
2. Select My requirements have changed and I no longer require this work to be done.
3. Click Submit to confirm.
For Hourly projects:
1. If the automatic billing is enabled, disable it first by clicking the Automatic Billing toggle off.
2. Once the automatic billing is disabled, click End Project.
3. Select My requirements have changed and I no longer require this work to be done.
4. Click Submit to confirm.