Do you have strong WinAPI knowledge (C, C++, C#) and MS Office automation skills (to access and send data to MS Excel)?
If you're interested in a fairly quick coding job, and you're familiar with these two tools for creating small PC/Windows desktop automation tasks, please tell me briefly what your experience is with them.
A brief description of my programming needs --
This little automation program will need to interface with a proprietary database program that you probably don't have access to (Recruitment Plus by CollegeBoard). If that's the case, you'll have to be able to set this program up using some dummy database program like Access, where you set up the automation program to look for the tabs and fields in the database that I share with you that I need, copy all of the desired fields for the currently open database entry (in this case, a specific prospective student), and automatically paste that information into a specified spreadsheet that has a column heading for collecting each of the fields that was copied. For example: first name, last name, address, phone, etc.
...more in the detailed description...
Here's how a programmer friend said I should ask prospective coders to make this:
1) Install your RP system. Open the window/form from which to take details. Identify this window by means of some development tool (like MS Spy/Spy++ which is included in MS Visual Studio). Identify the windows-controls (textboxes etc) with the student-related info.
2) Create application "StudentDataTransfer" in Visual Studio. Implement grabbing captured values from the identified windows-controls: WinAPI code.
3) Extend the "StudentDataTransfer" application with the MS Excel automation functionality: inserting data into cells + other requested actions.
4) Implement the hot key functionality - here I see 2 options: if it is troublesome to implement a hot key function right in the "StudentDataTranfer" application, then to implement AHK script which would (upon firing the hot key) run the "StudentDataTransfer" application which immediately (invisibly without any user interface) grabs data from the RP's windows-controls and inserts it into MS Excel.
5) Test the whole thing.
...and here's how I originally described it:
1. I've got AutoHotKey running, Recruitment Plus (RP) running, and an Excel spreadsheet open.
2. I have a conversation with a student, or send her an email. I record it in Recruitment Plus, and then I hit my AutoHotKey keyboard short-cut to copy all the student's info. That's automation program step # 1
3. If it's possible for all steps to happen at once, just from one key sequence, that's great. But if not, I can use multiple keyboard shortcuts - each with its own key sequence (**important: you'll need to integrate this with AHK. I dont know how to.)**
4. Automation program step # 2 is when the student's copied ID info is pasted into the SS under appropriate columns, in its own row, by alphabetical order and date. And, pasted under an "Action" column in the same row, the date, time, and whether the contact was an email or phone call.
5. The automation process should end with the SS program on top of everything else, auto-saved, scrolled down to the row that was just entered, and with the curser in the final column of data for the student: "notes".
6. One last important point to clarify: when a student has multiple entries in the spreadsheet, there should be multiple rows for that student, all together, with the most recent entry on top, oldest entry on bottom.
That's it. I really hope this is doable, and interesting to you.
Thanks for your time, and I look forward to hearing back from you!